Honest And Fair Hometown Attorneys With Decades Of Experience



  • We are still working, but our office is not open to the general public. We will be conducting appointments and other business by phone. Call us at 419-468-5044.
  • To drop off papers or payments, please place items in the slot in our back door or call 419-468-5044 to make arrangements.
  • To pick things up, make credit/debit card payments, and conduct other business, call 419-468-5044.
  • We are still receiving our US mail, so you can still send us things.
  • We regret any inconvenience, but everyone’s safety is of utmost importance.

What are the different ways to terminate my marriage?

On Behalf of | Jan 31, 2014 | Uncategorized

There are three different proceedings that can be utilized to terminate your marriage in Ohio. The first way is a “Dissolution” proceeding. This proceeding requires the preparation of a “Separation Agreement” that resolves all issues between the parties. There can be no disagreement on any issue. Both parties are required to sign all paperwork and also attend a hearing before the Court.

The second type of proceeding is called an “Uncontested Divorce”. This proceeding also requires a “Separation Agreement” with an agreement on all issues between the parties. The main difference is that both parties are not required to appear and an actual Divorce complaint must be filed. Whoever files the complaint as Plaintiff will be required to appear before the Court in order to present evidence.

A “Contested Divorce” is the final type of proceeding. A divorce is contested if one issue or one hundred issues are in controversy. If the Court must resolve any of the issues between the parties then the case is considered contested. Generally, a Contested Divorce is the most costly way to terminate a marriage as it requires more time to be spent by attorneys on both sides of the dispute.