Honest And Fair Hometown Attorneys With Decades Of Experience



  • We are still working, but our office is not open to the general public. We will be conducting appointments and other business by phone. Call us at 419-468-5044.
  • To drop off papers or payments, please place items in the slot in our back door or call 419-468-5044 to make arrangements.
  • To pick things up, make credit/debit card payments, and conduct other business, call 419-468-5044.
  • We are still receiving our US mail, so you can still send us things.
  • We regret any inconvenience, but everyone’s safety is of utmost importance.

Can you modify an Ohio divorce order?

Your divorce is final, and you breathe a sigh of relief because you can now move forward with your life. However, life likes to throw curve balls. Unexpected changes are difficult enough but even more so after a divorce due to added complexity. You find that now your agreement no longer works for your situation. What can you do?

Fortunately, Ohio allows for post-divorce modification under certain circumstances. If you can show a substantial change that affects one of these areas, you may be able to petition the court to modify your divorce order to meet your new needs.

Custody arrangement

Although you may have gone through battles to get your current parenting time, you may be eligible to have it changed when the following happens with either parent:

  • Relocation
  • New work schedule
  • Health problems that prevent the ability to care for children
  • Addiction, domestic violence and other dangers

A child developing a severe, long-term health condition can be another valid reason.

Support payments

Whether you pay or receive child support and/or alimony, you could potentially get the amount modified if you meet certain criteria. For example, if your income has gone down or you lost your job altogether, you may be able to apply for a lower amount to pay. Or, if your ex’s income increases significantly, you might petition for a higher amount to receive. Medical issues and remarriage are also relevant factors.

Ineligible areas

Some things are usually permanent once the divorce is final, such as the division of marital property. However, if you both agree to changes, it may be possible to receive court approval.

Note that if your desire for a modification is the result of dissatisfaction with your decree, you have to file an objection or appeal instead shortly after the issuance of the decree. The involvement of error, fraud or new evidence typically requires a motion for relief from judgment.