Hottenroth, Garverick, Tilson & Garverick, Co., L.P.A.
Honest And Fair Hometown Attorneys With Decades Of Experience
Call 419-468-5044

If a child support payor stops paying support, is that person still entitled to visitation with the child?

Ordinarily the answer to that question is yes. However, there are other considerations. Some court orders prevent the payor from having visitation rights with the child. Incidentally, "visitation rights" is not the current term of art in Ohio, because technically that is now called "parenting time."
Typically, the obligations to support a child and to allow "visiting time" are not dependent on each other. It is quite possible for a person to be found in contempt of a court for failing to allow visitation even in a situation where he or she did not receive appropriate child support from the other party.
These sorts of things seem to come up fairly frequently between divorced and divorcing parents.
Our office is available for consultations on such matters.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Hottenroth, Garverick, Tilson & Garverick, Co., L.P.A.
126 S. Market St.
Galion, OH 44833

Phone: 419-468-5044
Fax: 419-468-1308
Galion Law Office Map